Heather DeLuca - 95.1 WAYV

Friday, May 19, 2006

Will DaVinci Disappoint?

I was lucky enough to attend an advanced media screening with Sony Pictures last night of the highly anticipated blockbuster film The DaVinci Code. Being as big a fan of Dan's Brown's novel as I am, the release of the movie version was a moment I had been waiting years for. I had a calendar that I obsessively marked days off of in looking forward to it. I have read the book 4 times (I just finished the last page AGAIN Wednesday night) and have been completely enthralled by the story from page 1.

I felt I was in very capable hands with Ron Howard directing the movie and Tom Hanks bringing symbologist Robert Langdon to life. My excitement was palpable when I found out they would helm the film. Like a kid on Christmas Eve. I would get chills every time the trailer came on TV.

Enough rambling, you just want to know if its worth seeing right? YES.

Fans of the book may feel the movie fell short in many ways. Without giving too much away, there ARE tiny details of the story the are missing or changed. I felt as though the first 20 chapters of the book were moved through on film in about 6 minutes. There are pivotal scenes centered around London's Temple Church and Westminster Abbey that are just a blip on celluloid. I felt that as a new person watching the movie having not read the book, may find themselves lost in the film's trying to explain key story details too quickly, or glossing over them altogether. To see ANY of this book come to life on the big screen was worth the wait but I find I much prefer the book. SO much is lost on the movie.

However, if you are new to DaVinci Code you most likely will find the movie meets your expectations. Its fresh idea of searching for, and the mere existence of a "holy grail" will perk up your ears, and Ron Howard's interpretation will take you on a rollercoaster ride from Paris to London to Scotland and back. The characters are played very well by their actors. But I have to admit I DID find Tom Hanks a little TOO Tom-Hanks-ish at times.

If you're on the fence about whether to read the book or see the film. Read the book but go into the film being prepared to be somewhat disappointed. If you are only seeing the film go in with an open mind and prepare to be entertained!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home